The Haley Smith Basketball / Herndon Optimist Youth House Basketball (HOYHB) program is a recreational, developmental youth basketball program that focuses on skill development, equitable player participation, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
For grade 1-8 teams and BuddyBall, Head Coaches must be at least 18 years old and Assistant Coaches, Team Managers, and Buddies must be at least 14 years old as of December 1, 2022. For grade 9-12 teams, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches must be at least 21 years old as of December 1, 2022. There are no fees to register as a adult volunteer, but you will be required to:
- Provide additional personal information and complete a background check before participating in HOYHB events involving youth (link will be sent to you after you register)
- Complete a youth abuse prevention online training and exam before participating in HOYHB events involving youth (link will be sent to you after you register)
- Complete the Volunteer Building Director (VBD) online training and exam by the deadline given (see link provided under "Links")
- Enforce the Haley Smith-HOYHB House Rules and Code of Conduct with your team members, parents, and spectators (see documents provided under "Forms and Documents")
- Complete team administrative tasks by the deadlines given by the league
- Attend required coaches meetings and training/clinics
- Assist with league special events (e.g., Player Evaluations, Skills Challenge, All Stars Game)
- Implement and enforce Fairfax County/HOYHB health and safety protocols
Please make sure to provide your birth date when completing your member profile information. If you leave birth date blank, the system will prevent you from completing the volunteer registration because it will think you are too young to meet the age requirement. If the system indicates you are ineligible, select the "Access Your Account" menu option, sign in, and on the "Family Members" page, click on your name to access and update your member record with a birth date.
born between: 12/02/1946 and 12/01/2004